Skip to main content

Book Review - The Ultimate Gift

Our book club has two book selections this month. The first selection, The Ultimate Gift, by Jim Stovall, was very short, so we also chose a second book, Ghost in the Wires, by Kevin Mitnick. I read The Ultimate Gift first, so that's what this review is for. When I finish Ghost in the Wires, I'll write a review for that one, too. I know The Ultimate Gift has been made into a movie, but I haven't seen it and I don't know anything about it. This review is for the book only.


The Ultimate Gift

My Rating: 3 out of 5 bookmarks
Summary from Amazon page: Red Stevens has died, and the older members of his family receive their millions with greedy anticipation. But a different fate awaits young Jason, whom Stevens, his great-uncle, believes may be the last vestige of hope in the family.

My review:
If I had to choose one word to describe this book, it would be hokey. Campy and cliché would work as well. Although, somewhat well-written (it did keep my interest for the most part), it was rather predictable. I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes. To say more, I have to get into the details. Read on if you don't mind being spoiled.

Spoilers ahead.

So the deal is Jason has to complete a task every month to the lawyer's satisfaction. He has to learn about 12 gifts that will make him a better person, the first being work. Am I really supposed to believe that a spoiled rich kid is going to go to some guy's ranch and work for a month and come back a changed man? Say we accept the premise, and this month of hard labor changes him. The later challenges aren't really all that challenging. He might as well have just told him to pay attention to the people around him. Multiple times he's sent to observe and come back and report about what he's learned. So because he saw someone laughing, he's realized the gift of laughter? Um... okay.

I think the idea for this story was interesting, but it wasn't executed in the best manner. I would have liked to have seen more experiences (like helping out at the boys' home). I also would have preferred to read it from Jason's point of view instead of the lawyer's. I think we could have had a richer story from that point of view, and it would have been less campy. It also could have been longer and more involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advent

Three and a half years... In the last three and a half years, we've moved to another state, had a baby, and bought a house (therefore moving again). I hate moving.  But this post isn't about all that. I wanted to capture what I'm doing to make this Christmas time more special for my kids (mostly the 5yo at this point because 15mo is clueless). First, every year I select my favorite of our extensive Christmas book selection and add in a few new books, maybe a puzzle or movie or two. Then wrap each item to make a (mostly) Christmas book advent calendar.  So I thought that was that and we'd be all good. We'd try to make cookies and go look at Christmas lights at some point of course, too, but I didn't need any of those toy calendars or chocolate calendars.  Except, our church sent out the supplies to make an advent calendar. And 5yo likes making things. And 5yo wanted to put something in the little bags. So fine, I thought, I'll have her help me make it then ru

I made this today

I've been creating a lot again lately. And it feels good.

Pretty....

Thanks to my mom and mother-in-law, I can now get started on my new creative outlet, jewelry making! Both got me gifts related to the endeavor and I've jumped right in. This is a photo of my first project. I still have some things to improve, of course, but I'm really happy with how they turned out and excited to try more things!