Skip to main content

Book Review: The Shadow of the Wind


Book Review: The Shadow of the Wind

This month's book club book was The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

The Shadow of the Wind
My rating: 4 out of 5 bookmarks
Summary from Amazon page
Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

My review:
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I was pulled in from the beginning. The characters felt human; they made mistakes. 

There were a few times I got frustrated and I might have stopped reading. The information we were learning along with the main character was so confusing and difficult to make sense of (part of what makes the book good, I now know), that I just wanted to give up. I had trouble remembering all the bits and pieces. Luckily, there's a nice summary of everything towards the end that explains it all from start to finish, or I might have thrown the book out the window. 

Daniel, the main character, is truly a young boy that doesn't know what he's getting into. He's just curious. I'm glad it wasn't easy for him, it made it seem that much more real. Fermin was a wonderful character. I would love to have a friend like him. I'm not sure I cared much for Bea, her character wasn't developed very well, in my opinion. I also would have liked to have seen more of Daniel's father. Lain Coubert was a frightening character, for good reason as we find out in the end. I could say more about many more characters, but I don't want to give too much away. 

So why did I rate this 4 out of 5? Because in the end, it was a really well written story and I wanted to know what happened and therefore kept reading. I'm also a sucker for happy endings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I made this today

I've been creating a lot again lately. And it feels good.

Advent

Three and a half years... In the last three and a half years, we've moved to another state, had a baby, and bought a house (therefore moving again). I hate moving.  But this post isn't about all that. I wanted to capture what I'm doing to make this Christmas time more special for my kids (mostly the 5yo at this point because 15mo is clueless). First, every year I select my favorite of our extensive Christmas book selection and add in a few new books, maybe a puzzle or movie or two. Then wrap each item to make a (mostly) Christmas book advent calendar.  So I thought that was that and we'd be all good. We'd try to make cookies and go look at Christmas lights at some point of course, too, but I didn't need any of those toy calendars or chocolate calendars.  Except, our church sent out the supplies to make an advent calendar. And 5yo likes making things. And 5yo wanted to put something in the little bags. So fine, I thought, I'll have her help me make it then ru

Librarian

Still having fun with my new doodling abilities. Made this for the boy. The edges got cut off slightly because the paper was bigger than 8.5 x 11, but most of it's there.