Skip to main content

Book Review: Under the Dome

After reading my first Stephen King book, 11/22/63: A Novel (also awesome, highly recommend!), I've discovered he's not so scary and I wanted to read more. Under the Dome is the fourth book of his that I've read.

Under the Dome
My rating: 4 out of 5 bookmarks
Summary from Amazon page: On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when -- or if -- it will go away.

Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens -- town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing -- even murder -- to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.


My review:
I really enjoyed this book. The first thing I thought after I started reading it was there better be a good explanation for this dome at the end of this book. It delivered that explanation. I won't give anything away here, but I will say I wasn't unsatisfied. Yes, that's a double-negative, I know. I liked parts of the explanation, but parts of it could have been better explained or done differently. So I could say I was satisfied, but that sounds a little too positive to me. I'm a Minnesotan at heart (see the end of Lesson Three).

What about the rest of the book? There was a lot happening throughout. I really liked all the characters, I thought they were well-written. I enjoyed Dale Barbara. Big Jim Rennie is one of those characters you love to hate. The scary thing is I could totally imagine a small town acting like this if it was cut off from the rest of the world. A big city would be different, but small towns have their own dynamics and King does a good job showing that. Lots of drama and twists and turns. At times I felt it was taking too long, but that could be attributed to my wanted to know what caused the dome in the first place. I knew it wouldn't be revealed until the end, but I'm not so good with patience.

I heard they're making a show based on this book. I'm seriously contemplating checking it out. I think there's a lot of potential.

I definitely recommend this read!

Popular posts from this blog

The invitations

Now that the wedding is over and I don't need to worry about any unexpected guests showing up, I can share the invitations I designed. I was really happy with how they turned out and got a lot of great feedback.

You might remember from our Save the Date cards that our reception was a game theme. So I designed the invitations to look like playing cards.


The main part of the invitation features the King and Queen of hearts. I found some text online that I liked and edited it a bit to fit our event. Here's what the main invitation final product looked like:

Since we also needed to include the addresses for the church, reception, and hotel, I made an Ace of hearts card, too. (Get it? 'A' for address?)

I also wanted to include a map since we'd have a lot of out of town guests. I know most people have a GPS these days, but it just seemed like a good idea. For the map, I saved a screenshot of the area in Google Maps, then traced over the lines I wanted in Photoshop Elemen…

Pajama Brunch

This is my 100th post! Woot!

I had a really hard time picking just one picture or even just a couple pictures today. It was our annual Holiday Pajama Brunch and we had a great time! Tell me how to choose from these adorable faces?
















Yep, no way I could have left any of these out! They're just too cute.


If you like my photography (and many of you tell me you do), PLEASE leave comments on my pictures throughout this year. I don't know if I'll be able to continue without that encouragement. Also needed will be suggestions for photography subjects or locations. I'm always looking for ideas!

Android Home Screen Design

I have an Android phone. It's over 2 years old, but it still works great. If there's a good deal at Christmas, maybe I'll upgrade.

To keep things feeling fresh, I like to play around with the look of the home screens on my phone. From what I understand (I've never used one), that's not something that's possible with the iPhone. So, I thought I would share my latest endeavor.

I used a tutorial and I'll link to it at the end of the post (his screen is pretty cool, possibly cooler than mine).

So this is my main screen:

The cool part is that all you're seeing is my wallpaper (created in photoshop). I've used transparent icons such that when you click on the objects, it opens different apps. For example, if you tap the phone, it will open the phone app so you can make a call. Click on the monitor to browse the web, the envelope for voicemail, and the calculator for ... a calculator. No more boring icons.

Screen 2:

I have a number of different camera apps…